Headquarters: New York City
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Cloud Application Architect for our Technology department. This position is based in our Reston, VA office or New York City office, but candidates who want to work remotely will also be considered.
About the Role
As a Cloud Application Architect, within the Data Science team, you will architect, do hands-on software development, and operate the core AWS infrastructure to make machine learning models and data science solutions built by our data scientists available at a large scale to other applications and users in the organization. Knowledge of AWS machine learning services is not required but is a plus. You will be expected to take on various roles, hands on as well as supervisory.
Responsibilities of the role
- The Cloud Application Architect will maintain awareness and knowledge of the emerging trends in technology, and its usage within the industry, and will apply this learning in the establishment of new and innovative technology strategies to support College Board’s business needs. The architect will also establish related practices, standards, and guidelines and will provide architectural oversight and adoption support to the Data Science team members. The Cloud Architect will also work with other teams to ensure the smooth integration of services. This involvement would span the entire spectrum of the development cycle for the solution delivery, including determination of technical requirements, analysis, architecture and design, implementation, and strategies for operational support. However, first and foremost, this is a development role and the architect will be responsible for writing code, standing up AWS infrastructure, testing solutions and operating solutions. The architect will work closely with the team’s python developer and data scientists daily to lead the design, development, build, deployment, and monitoring of Data Science products
- Succeeding as a Cloud Application Architect will require in-depth technical knowledge, experience, and skills, necessary when building solutions to support a single technology, as well as breadth of knowledge in multiple technology areas, necessary when building and integrating solutions across multiple technologies in an enterprise environment. The architect is accountable for the comprehensive high-level design, functionality, economics, and architectural compliance of solution options.
- In addition, successful candidates will be innovative thinkers and passionate in their pursuit of world class technology enabled business solutions. They will also be strong leaders, skilled communicators, and active partners, adept in interpreting and understanding the needs of the enterprise while translating those needs into technology architectures and solutions that are enduring and of high quality.
Qualifications needed for the role
- BS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field/equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of experience in software systems, programming, and cloud infrastructure development and administration.
- 3+ years demonstrated experience with Python frameworks and design patterns.
- Demonstrated professional competence in the principles and practices of Cloud architectures as they relate to:
- Familiarity with technologies and a demonstrated understanding of challenges posed by.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and mentoring technical staff in the development and usage of cloud technology architectures and solutions.
- Working knowledge of and experience with other enterprise domains (application, security, infrastructure data, etc.).
- Experience working in Agile/Lean development environment (SCRUM preferred).
- Excellent software development habits (unit tests, in-code documentation, etc).
- Scrum Team Member attitude – willingness to support the Team to be successful in any area necessary.
- Experience in architecting solutions using Amazon Web Services for “cloud-scale”, high availability, reliability, and security.
- Coding solutions that are composed of Amazon Web Services offerings.
- Communication of Cloud concepts to peers and customers.
- Design Continuous Delivery pipelines and the tools used to deliver solutions (GIT, Code Pipeline, CloudFormation, CDK, AWS Code Deploy, Docker, Pytest etc).
- Experience with Distributed Service Standards (REST, SOA, microservices).
- Demonstrated experience translating business and technical requirements into comprehensive technical strategies and solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain good customer working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to adequately plan and meet delivery objectives and maintain adequate service levels in a highly dynamic, complex environment.
- Superior written and oral communication skills; ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Excellent architecture and technical support documentation skills.
- Ability to conduct research into emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products as required.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Lifelong Learner – what is learned today will be obsolete tomorrow; demonstrated continuous learning.
Preferred skills for the role
- Hands-on experience designing and implementing solutions using these specific Amazon Web Services (AWS) including IAM, Lambda, Step Functions, SNS/SQS, S3, CloudFront, API Gateway, VPC, Route 53, DynamoDB, Athena, EMR, Sagemaker).
- Experience with monitoring tool suites (e.g. Cloudwatch, SumoLogic,).
- Experience with automated testing tools (e.g. PyTest).
- Demonstrated ability to architect and model mission critical solutions leveraging multiple DBMS technologies (Relational, Big Data, NoSQL).
- Working knowledge of Big Data technologies, HADOOP, NOSQL, Apache Kafka, Kinesis, Apache Spark.
- Working knowledge of IP networking, VPCs, DNS, firewalls, storage systems, and computing platforms including WebLogic, Oracle, Linux, Unix, Windows.
- Strong hands-on technical diagnostic experience.
- Strong practical Linux-based systems administration skills and shell-scripting experience in a cloud-based environment.
- Experience building and maintaining microservices that use various AWS machine learning services.
- Responsible – assumes ownership of all aspects including delivering value via outcomes and continuous improvement.
- Methodical – manages efforts with purpose and approach to ensure delivery of quality solutions.
- Disciplined – manages work according to plan; variables are isolated and controlled.
- Innovative – employs creativity to devise effective and efficient testing strategies.
- Demonstrated critical thinking – including abilities in analysis and problem-solving.
- Experienced in “Systems Thinking” – breaks problems into manageable pieces, how the pieces interact, and when assembled, create an integrated, functioning, “whole” system.
- Excellent verbal and written communication capabilities.
- Skillful at facilitation and negotiation.
- Effective team player with strong emotional intelligence – self-awareness, confidence, ability to manage conflict, and empathy.
- Ability to effectively respond to questions and issues – i.e., effective in communicating complex concepts to diverse audiences at all levels in the organization.
- Passion for technology, with an ability to understand and assess new technologies, and their potential applicability to business needs in an efficient, effective manner.