- Deadline: 13th February 2019
- Time: 0.6 – 1 FTE (Flexible)
- Location: Manchester, UK / Remote
- Salary: £28,428 (FTE)
- Start date: February/March 2019
- End date: Permanent (with 6 month probationary period)
- Status: Payroll/PAYE
Description of role
We are seeking a full-stack developer to work across our website and energy services team but primarily on a two-year government funded innovation project in the area of smart energy and flexibility. You will work within a team of developers and engineers to deliver a pre-commercial prototype of a web service and demand response management system which will enable domestic electricity users to take control of their energy usage. This is an exciting opportunity to work on a cutting-edge innovative greenfield energy technology service.
How to apply
Submit a recent CV (including the contact details of two references) and a one page covering letter outlining your suitability and how you meet the essential elements of the role as outlined below. Please include in this covering letter links to your github/stack overflow/examples of previous work (if available).
This vacancy is for a job role with a time commitment between 0.6 – 1 FTE. Please state your desired work commitment in your covering letter and at interview. We can support flexible and remote working arrangements subject to prior agreement. Please state any requirements for flexible working in your covering letter and at interview.
Selection will take place in one or two stages.
Some candidates may be screened using an online testing platform to confirm basic knowledge and competency in web development. This should take no more than 30 minutes of your time.
Candidates will then be short listed for an in-person or ‘skype’ interview. The interview will take approximately 1 hour.
Legal right to work
By the time you commence your employment you must have a legal right to work in the UK.
The below describe the desired Essential, Preferred, and Useful characteristics of applicants.
Skills and experience
- 1+ year or equivalent experience of web development (any language/framework). This can include personal and academic project work.
- Core knowledge of HTML/CSS/JS and relational databases/SQL.
- Exposure to programming with Python.
- 2+ years experience of full stack development in a work setting.
- 1+ year experience using Python in a work setting.
- Experience working with Django or similar Python web framework.
- Experience working on a cloud IaaS deployment (AWS etc.).
- Experience and knowledge of agile practice, test driven development (TDD), continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD).
- A degree in computing, engineering, or the physical/mathematical sciences.
- Experience with any of: Big Data, IoT, data science, microservices, or event driven systems.
- Knowledge of control in electrical power systems, demand side response systems, or renewable energy systems.
- Experience with user experience/design for websites.
- An excellent communicator, enthusiastic and engaging.
- A team player. Able to work effectively with others and be empathetic, compassionate, and understanding.
- Ability to organise oneself and others to ensure timely delivery of activities and outputs.
- Enthusiastic, positive and a problem solver.
- Very organised with the ability to quickly and effectively prioritise tasks.
- An interest in energy issues and/or motivated by environmental and social justice concerns.
- Interest or involvement in the co-operative movement.
Source: Python.org Jobs Feed