Headquarters: Virginia Beach, VA
Rocketgenius, Inc. is looking for a full-time remote Backend Software Engineer.
The Development & Operations Team is a team focused on building the applications and tooling that make our business go. We manage all the underlying infrastructure and software that drives our Licensing, Products, Commerce and more. You’ll be collaborating with an awesome team working on large scale applications and data problems.
What You’ll Do
Reporting to our Director of Operations your responsibility will be to build and maintain Rocketgenius Internal tooling and products. The work entails:
- Collaborating with the team members to brainstorm solutions to engineering challenges.
- Prototyping and iterating on features alongside your team members.
- Writing readable, secure, accessible, testable, standards-compliant code.
- Keeping your teammates informed of your tasks and progress in regular Zoom calls, Slack and project management tools.
- Attend and participate in regular weekly scrum meetings.
- Fixing bugs and liaising with other team contacts.
- Code review the work of other team members and give clear and kind feedback.
- Help to build new and improve existing applications, internal tools, processes, and standards.
- Write automated tests and adjust existing tests.
- Collaborate across teams to build features or fix issues.
- Contributing technical details to documentation.
Is This You?
- You have 2+ years experience writing PHP on production web applications
- You have 3+ years experience writing WordPress Plugins/Themes
- Familiar with Modern PHP (ex: autoloading, dependency management, dependency injection, templating libraries, automated testing, OOP, and/or frameworks like Symfony or Laravel, etc.)
- You have general knowledge and experience with MySQL
- You think about the security implications of your code, and escaping and sanitizing are second-nature to you.
- You use Linters, because they make you a better engineer.
- You are self-driven and can work remotely with little-to-no supervision.
- You consider yourself a strong team player with great communication skills and you enjoy working on an agile team.
- You regard maintainability and usability higher than architectural perfection.
- You’re comfortable with all the layers of technologies that are required to build and run a modern complex WordPress/PHP application. However, you know where your strengths lie, and you still get excited by the idea of learning whatever comes next.
- You’re very comfortable writing and speaking in English with colleagues and customers.
- You’re available to work remotely within US business hours.
- You’ve already figured out solutions to the challenges of remote working.
- Some experience with Gravity Forms.
- Some experience implementing and writing tests
- Some DevOps experience
- A brief series of emails and or Slack chats.
- A short video call to meet the Director of Development & Operations.
- A brief paid trial project lasting between 1-2 weeks, depending on your availability, which will give us the opportunity to see what it’s like working together.
- A formal offer.
Working For Us
- Work-life balance is important to us so we encourage flexible working hours whenever possible so you can find an equilibrium that allows you to prioritize both your personal life and your career. If you need to go to a doctor’s appointment or take time to care for a sick child, we don’t expect you to make up that time. If your personal responsibilities require you to work irregular hours, that’s fine as long as you communicate your availability to your teammates.
- Paid Time Off: Our flexible PTO policy (no set number of days per year) is designed to place trust in your judgment, and help you get away when possible and handle life events. Recharge your batteries to be at your best!
- Health Insurance: For US-based employees, we offer medical, dental, and vision coverage for you, your spouse and dependents, and we will pay 100% of your premiums. That’s right, the lot!
- Retirement: we provide you a mechanism to invest in your future self, and will provide company contributions as well.
- Rocketgenius (the makers of Gravity Forms) is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.