Celebration, FL 34747, USA
The Walt Disney Company
As a Lead Software Engineer on the Disney Cruise Line Shipboard Application Development team you will be creating innovative solutions by developing and implementing applications to enhance our guest, cast and crew experience. As a Tech Lead, you will be responsible for helping estimate, plan and oversee development activities being executed by both internal and vendor development resources. The Agile delivery methodology will be the predominate working model for this team. The Tech Lead role will be regularly expected to lead meetings, interface laterally with senior technology and line of business stakeholders, and assumes the main responsibility for the technical solution and steering the technical work of developers / engineers working on assigned projects.
The Tech Lead is a hands-on senior software engineer who will:
- Work closely with product managers and story owners to design features and prioritize tasks.
- Lead technical teams by mentoring and coaching, answering questions and solving problems.
- Assemble releases and drive improvements in the delivery and release processes.
- Help with recruiting and selection of technical resources.
- And – write code.
- Overseeing internal and vendor delivered work.
- Leading team members in the delivery of technology solutions which meet business delivery expectations, maintain portfolio currency, and integrate best engineering practices.
- Perform code reviews on regular basis and setup best practices.
- Providing technical direction and evaluating the quality of deliverables.
- Working closely with technical and non-technical leaders to strategize on delivery approach and dependency management.
- Participating in the design process of new features and enhancements to the software platform.
- Working independently and delivering on agreed upon timelines.
- Overseeing the diagnosis of issues, evaluating and recommending the best resolution plan and executing against that plan.
- Working closely with the QA, project management and business teams on solution implementation.
- Adhering to technical development processes, standard and software engineering best practices.
- Developing, reviewing and executing on established technical road maps and continual product optimizations.
- Participating in the creation of development / software engineering best practices, including capacity planning, monitoring, configuration, security, historical metrics, recovery strategies and migration strategies.
- Ensuring a process orientation across the technical/project team, being able to develop, implement and improve processes.
- Providing technical leadership, able to inspire and coach other technical members to perform at their highest potential.
- Managing scrum sessions, and executing sprint planning, sprint retrospective and sprint demos.
- Providing solid facilitation, problem solving skills and able to focus both strategically and tactically to achieve project goals.
- Encouraging and helping others to achieve technical transparency.
- Identifying, mitigating or appropriately escalating delivery impediments, risks, issues, and changes to development projects.
- Assessing the technical skills of the of internal Cast Members and contracted application developers where appropriate.
- Providing thought leadership and technical guidance within a globally distributed environment.
- Serving as a technical role model by promoting and demonstrating our commitment to Agile methodology and current software engineering processes, to include recommending improvements.
Basic Qualifications :
- A minimum of eight (8) years of software development experience
- Experience collecting, reviewing and updating requirements and/or user stories
- Experience writing technical documentation and providing engineering deliverables
- Experience with SCRUM and other Agile development practices.
- A demonstrated pattern of leadership, formal or otherwise.
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIRED
- Is already or is becoming a recognized expert in software development.
- Has solid understanding of the software development life cycle SDLC (e.g. requirements, analysis, design, implementation, testing, and documentation) and associated execution models (e.g. Waterfall, Agile, Iterative Development, etc.).
- Disciplined approach to software development. Including defining and enforcing engineering best practices.
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills.
- Expert level knowledge in Object Oriented Programming
- Strong understanding of Computer Science fundamentals.
- Java/J2EE,Spring Framework,REST/SOAP Web service development skills, among other mainstream programming languages, with a proven record of creating commercial quality software solutions
- AngularJS and Node.js experience to be able to utilize a subscribed UI Reference Architecture
- Strong knowledge of unit testing, behavioral testing and continuous integration (Jenkins,Maven,Github)
- Demonstrated understanding of the importance of maintainable / sustainable product solutions
- General knowledge developing mobile applications
- Thorough understanding of delivering SOX, PCI, PII and application security protection requirements
- Experience implementing custom functionality based on business needs by intercepting signals from long and short range readers
- Proven ability to encode various media types leveraged at DCL (RFID / Magnetic Stripe) for access to various shipboard systems
- Adept in implementing diverse security mechanisms to safeguard applications using Web Services Security, Random Access Tokens, Federated Identity, PKI Authentication
- Experience in designing and developing micro services to reduce the complexity of applications for easy maintainability and high availability
SOFT SKILLS & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills. The position requires frequent communication with senior leaders, technical colleagues and partners across several different geographic locations and time zones
- Proven ability to work with all members of an extended and diverse project team
- Must be detail-oriented, self-organized, be committed to quality and be capable of tracking multiple issues simultaneously
- Candidate must have mentoring and guidance skills to provide oversight and direction to contractors and internal members of the software development team
- Ability to handle virtual teams and work with resources in multiple sites (onsite, offshore, near shore)
- Excellent time management skills
- Support on-call response to critical operational issues; be able to work beyond normal hours and support implementation transition activities and hyper-care shifts as needed
- 2+ years of experience acting as a lead developer within complex systems development environments
- A thorough understanding and passion for Agile principles
- Knowledge of modern application architectures
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of cruise line operations and the onboard experience.
- Working knowledge of the technical challenges and limitations involved in deploying applications to a shipboard environment with often limited connectivity.
Required Education :
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or similar field or related work experience.
Preferred Education :
Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field. [...]