Who is Modea?
We are a technology consultancy working with healthcare marketing teams to dramatically improve and enhance the digital patient experience. We fundamentally believe that digital tools should provide better control, transparency, and choice for healthcare consumers. Finding a doctor should be as easy as comparing flights with Kayak, and booking an appointment should be as easy as hailing a car with Uber.
Here are a few ways to get to know our work in healthcare:
- Check out the Duke Health website. We designed and built the entire thing.
- Read this case study about our multi-source attribution modeling for Children’s National Health System.
- Search for a doctor at Carilion Clinic. We recently helped them transform this experience.
We’re based in Blacksburg, VA, which provides a unique blend of small town feel + proximity to a world-class university (Virginia Tech) + amazing access to outdoor experiences. We love our town.
What does a Software Engineer do at Modea?
We are digital consultants first, and our software engineers assume this same mentality in all aspects of their work. We tackle client projects as cross-functional teams made up of software engineers, UX/designers, project managers, strategists and analysts. These teams work very closely with each other and the client to architect and build awesome, consumer-grade experiences.
We’re currently looking for someone passionate about solving problems with technology and ready to take their game to the next level by building great software. The right person for this role understands what it takes to build and deliver high-quality software and has a strong understanding of software engineering principles. This is a full-time position located at our headquarters in Blacksburg, VA.
Here are a few specific things we’d be looking for you to do:
- Mobile Application Developer – Not only do we build great web applications, but we also deliver mobile apps for our clients to run on multiple mobile platforms. Mobile app development does not constitute a large majority of our projects, but our engineers have plenty of experience in this realm.
- Software Engineering Best Practices – We pride ourselves on delivering quality software solutions, and we rely on following good software engineering best practices. We are looking for someone who will champion this in every aspect of development and delivery of our work. Be prepared to share what all this encompasses for you and how to build software the right way.
Here is a list of skills and qualities that are critical to this role:
- Be a great listener and communicator (oral and written)
- Be naturally curious and love problem solving
- Have a consultant mentality in your approach to solving problems
- Have at least 2-3 years of software engineering experience or equivalent education
- Be pleasant to work with and a team player
- Be passionate about software development and ready to share your favorite blogs, authors, development communities, latest technology, etc.
- Have a mentality of continuous improvement in all that you do individually and as a team member
Additionally, here is a list of skills and qualities we’d like you to have:
- Understand mobile-first and responsive web design
- Have experience building mobile apps
- Have development experience with content management systems
- Have experience leading other people (coaching, mentoring, interviewing, etc.)
- Be active in various software development communities
Here are a few other reasons why you should apply:
First, you’ll love the work we do and the people you’ll get to do it with. We’ve assembled an exceptionally smart and hardworking team and you’ll enjoy the work associations and general camaraderie with other “Modeans”. We also work with great clients who value us and our contributions.
Second, Modea offers a great benefit package that provides both a fun and enjoyable workplace and great perks that will improve your quality of life:
- Flexible paid time off
- Modern, open plan office
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Catered team lunch every Friday
- Regular employee events (parties, community service, etc.)
- Discounted gym membership
- Paid downtown parking
- Generous health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k with fully vested company matching
- Long term & short term disability
The working environment here at Modea is one of accountability and autonomy. We are working to solve big problems. So we expect a lot, but give team members the tools, freedom, and flexibility to come up with great solutions. Together, our team is developing world-class technology that will change the way healthcare is delivered.
If you’ve read to this point you should probably apply. Not ready? Shoot us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
* You must be eligible to work in the United States for this position.
Job Perks: Flexible paid time off, Modern, open plan office, Fully stocked kitchen, Catered team lunch every Friday, Regular employee events (parties, community service, etc.), Discounted gym membership, Paid downtown parking, Generous health, dental, and vision insurance, 401k with fully vested company matching, Long term & short term disability, Relocation assistance