San Francisco, CA, USA
Hunt and eliminate malware within Stripe networks
The security concerns are ever-evolving, making the security team an extremely dynamic environment to work in. Our ultimate goal is to secure Stripe, secure Stripe users, and secure the Internet.
For the Threat Engineering Team, signature based detection is not enough – Stripe strives for world class security that recognizes abnormal through aggressive baselining of endpoints and servers.
Stripe’s threat engineering team recognizes that, in order to manage and defend against an attack, one must understand the attack and approaches each challenge with an adversary mindset. Our users trust us with some of their most sensitive information, and we make security a first-class consideration in everything we do.
- Develop general techniques and frameworks that will enable other engineering teams to find flaws before they are introduced into production
- Be a security subject matter expert and respond to any internal security engineering questions/request
- Work with other teams to help architect solutions that are inherently secure
- Perform penetration testing on our internal and external applications
- Threat model existing applications
- Perform reactive incident response when a security event occurs
- Perform proactive research to detect new attack vectors
- Architect and create frameworks that prevent current and future attack scenarios
- Create and execute training exercises to advance developers’ security knowledge
- Research, architect, and execute solutions that will advance internal security monitoring & controls
Our ideal candidate for this role:
- Can write defensive, maintainable code that solves real-world problems for our users
- Has previously held security role in professional environment
- Has software engineering experience in production environment
- Has a security-specific background
- Has a knack for finding flaws in software and can efficiently communicate how to fix them
- Has the ability to find creative ways of reducing risk of inherently insecure efforts
- Can think about problems from an out-of-the box perspective
- Can think like an attacker and preemptively determine how malicious actors will attack Stripe
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world. [...]