Open to Remote, California, United States
In our Science Initiative, our mission is to support science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. Interdisciplinary teams of physicians, biologists, computational scientists, and engineers can expand our understanding of the human body and illness — the very science behind medicine. CZI fosters collaboration between scientists and engineers, develops tools and technologies, and builds support for basic scientific research.
The Imaging Technology Team is growing an open source image analysis and visualization ecosystem, built around napari and the napari hub, to further our mission to enable researchers to gain a much deeper mechanistic and quantitative understanding of biological systems using imaging.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Imaging Team, you will build software tools to support this mission, working closely with a collaborative team of scientists, engineers, product managers, designers, user researchers and other open source contributors. This is an excellent opportunity for a software engineer to work on challenging problems while learning science and contributing to open source software.
- Build visualization and analysis software tools for exploring and analyzing large biological imaging datasets.
- Share responsibilities in addressing issues and bugs to ensure quality in the work we deliver.
- Work in a multi-disciplinary team, with engineers, product managers, applications scientists, data scientists, UX researchers, designers, and open source partners to define product plans and deliver features to existing essential open source projects.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to other engineers.
- 3+ years experience working with Python.
- Internal drive for continuous learning and teaching others.
- Experience working with Scientific Python libraries like Scipy, Dask, etc. is a plus.
- Experience with interactive and responsive applications development is a plus.
- Experience with handling/visualizing large and complex datasets is a plus.
- Experience working with open source software communities is a plus.