Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Are you ready to make a BIG difference? Join the AWS Managed Services team at the forefront of cloud technologies with interactions and integration across the full breadth of AWS services. Imagine if you could upload enterprise-level applications and software onto the cloud, and not have to worry about the associated routine tasks that ensure optimal performance. What if you could design intelligent software that could implement these tasks and return immediate and actionable information to its users?
We are building software that automates infrastructure operations and provides recommendations to AWS users who are eager for deep insights into cost optimisation, performance, security, and fault tolerance. As an engineer on our team, you will become an AWS expert who understands and works with a variety of AWS services to build and deliver highly available, performant, and scalable systems to delight our customers. You will be surrounded by world-class engineers who are experts in their field, passionate about cloud computing, and excel at developing innovative solutions to solve customer problems.
Our goal is to increase enterprise adoption of AWS by providing an AWS infrastructure operations management service. AWS Managed Services provides automated outcomes for critical infrastructure operations (e.g. operations as code) across change management, provisioning, monitoring, remediation, patch, backup, recovery, logging, compliance, and security.
Key job responsibilities
As a software development engineer, you will:
- Take defined designs and turn them into code, deliver on a schedule, and apply appropriate technologies and software engineering best practices.
- Make appropriate implementation decisions using your proficiency in algorithms and data structures.
- Participate in team design, scoping and prioritization discussions, using your knowledge of our team’s technologies to make the right decisions for our customers.
- Work with customers and internal business partners to understand business impacts, and identify opportunities or problems arising from technical decisions.
- Use your understanding of our software’s maintenance characteristics, runtime properties and dependencies to improve its operational excellence.
- Troubleshoot and research the root cause of problems, and thoroughly resolve defects.
A day in the life
You’ll consult with your team and the current sprint board to decide on your priorities for the day. You’ll likely spend some time writing some Python or Java code for your latest feature, or ensuring your recent feature is operationally excellent by reviewing its monitoring, documentation or security needs. You’ll have an afternoon sprint stand-up meeting, and check in with the 2-3 others working on your project stream.
About the team
The AWS Managed Services (AMS) team in Sydney focuses on creating tooling that allows our internal Operations team to have visibility of our customers’ AWS accounts. We strive to make sure there are self-service tools in place to allow AMS to quickly deliver the right monitoring features for our customers.
- Bachelor’s or advanced Degree in Computer Science or closely related field, or Equivalent experience to a Bachelor’s degree
- 1+ years of experience with object-oriented development, data structures, algorithm design and analysis in a professional software development setting.
- Experience developing distributed systems using AWS a strong plus
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Ability to effectively articulate technical issues and solutions to non-technical audiences
- 2+ years of experience with one of the modern programming languages such as Java, Python, C++, C#, or Kotlin